View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 02:28 PM
jcrow

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

If I were you, I'd find a quilt store with a helpful staff. I would explain I was new to quilting and tell them what size mat and rulers you have. I would ask them if they have a simple beginner's quilt kit and buy that. I would ask them to explain the terminology of the pattern and tell you the tips for making that quilt. After you make your first one, I'd go back to the store with the top of the quilt and ask them to help you find someone to long arm quilt it. And I would then ask them what they thought of your top and where you should go from there. That's how I started and now I have a $10,000 Bernina 830 and a spare room that I call my quilting room that is stuffed with only my quilting supplies. I started at my dining table years ago and now I have everything you could think of for a quilter. Start small. I did a table top quilt so I could see the results fast and decide if I wanted to keep quilting. You probably will. It's so addictive. I suggested buying a kit because finding a pattern and then picking out all the fabric to go with the pattern can be nerve wracking (even now) at first. Good luck. I'm 99% sure you'll love quilting and soon be fantastic at it. Remember, we sew 1/4" seams. That is the most important thing to know. And to cut exactly the correct size of each piece of fabric.