Old 12-06-2011, 02:34 PM
JulieR

Question FMQ Thread Breaking - Troubleshooting help needed

Hi all! I'm trying to FMQ a baby blanket (which, of course, is last minute ) and the top thread keeps breaking after less than a minute of stitching.

Here's what I have.
  • The machine is a 1990s Singer (it's upstairs and I'm too frustrated to go back in there right now and get the model # LOL) that I've used for FMQ before without an issue
  • FMQ foot that I've used successfully before
  • New needle
  • Two layers of cotton (a top and a bottom) with a layer of W&N batting
  • Dritz basting spray between the layers (usually use something else)
  • Mettler thread (usually use Coats & Clark)
When I FMQ either on the quilt or on some scraps prepped the exact same way, what happens is that less than a minute into stitching the top thread will break at the needle.

Things I've tried that didn't help:
  • Rethreaded the machine, top and bobbin
  • Cleaned the machine
  • Changed the needle to the same kind, just another one
  • Changed the needle to a larger eye
  • Adjusted the tension, the stitch length (which I usually leave zero) and covered & uncovered the feed dogs
  • Avoided any seams
So I tried changing the thread to my old Coats & Clark and it STILL broke.

Okay. Changed to a sandwich that did not have the basting spray and the Coats & Clark lasted a few minutes. I called this success. Then I went back to the basting spray and the Coats & Clark and even though it broke in the last test it was still good! Wow, maybe I shook something loose!

So I rethreaded the machine with the Mettler and bang, broken thread.

With the Mettler still loaded I changed to my usual foot for straight stitching and even with the spray-basting the thread did not break.

I'm not experienced enough with this process to come to a conclusion as to what is wrong, so I'm hoping the experts here can help me.

Please help!

Last edited by JulieR; 12-06-2011 at 02:38 PM.