View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I'm not sure from your description if you would really want an industrial machine. As others have mentioned, there are heavy-duty domestic machines that would seem to fill your needs. Some of the drawbacks of industrial machines include: more difficult to re-sell, heavier and therefore less portable, probably less widely serviceable and more expensive to service (ideally, of course, you would never need servicing, but....), less versatile (a one-job type of machine). Some industrial machines are more complicated to thread, although this might not be the case for a straight-stitch machine. I think the main reason for purchasing an industrial machine is if you want to do lots of very fast production stitching. Sewing through heavier materials doesn't seem like a sufficient reason, since there are so many domestic machine options that will handle heavier materials just fine (including some of the old Singers, such as the 201).

Originally Posted by sewlo View Post
I am considering purchasing an industrial Juki sewing machine, either the Juki 8700 or 8700-7
Is anyone familiar with these machines that could offer me some advise?
I mainly make bags and quilts, some bags use decorator fabric which is heavier wt than cotton.
Does anyone have any opinion one way or the other home model vs industrial model?
Thanks