View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Mitch's mom

I have 2 industrial machines. I get asked to do some really odd sewing at times and I wanted to have a machine that would handle pretty much whatever I threw at it. My 'Go to' machine is a Pfaff 138-6. It is a Zigzag and straight stitch machine. I like it other than the limited feet available for it. It will sew light cotton up to garment weight leather. I have put 10 layers of Sunbrella under the foot and it sewed it.

My other machine is a Singer 31-15. I removed the feed dogs to free motion quilt with it. It does a great job of it. If I ever had to decide on which machine to keep I would probably keep it because of the availability of feet. I can put a walking foot on it, where I can't on the Pfaff. I paid less than 400.00 for both of them combined. If someone offered me the money I'd seriously think about letting them both go.

If you are looking for speed, industrial is the way to go. If you are looking for the ability to sew heavy weight fabrics with larger thread than a home machine will handle then you might want to consider a dedicated industrial.

If you are not going to go for speed or heavy thread and fabrics on a constant basis, I would buy a Singer 15-91 and a good selection of needles in larger sizes and styles and save the money for fabrics. A Singer 15-91 will serve you very well for a very long time.