View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 08:56 AM
majormom

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Google the Sharon Schambers method of basting a quilt. She has her tutorials on Youtube. My DD and I used her method for the last quilt we finished. So much easier that getting down on the floor and pinning. Her tute shows her sandwiching a small quilt but it worked for our 70x70 quilt with a little practice.
I believe this is the best way to sandwich a quilt especially if you are handicapped in any way. This is how I do a larger quilt. If I am doing a QAYG quilt, I baste on the machine. I find the center of each square, and then on each square I sew very large stitches using water soluble thread in the bobbin and needle. I sew from the center to the sides and then from the center to each corner. Yes, I know it's a bit more work, but believe me it keeps everything where it should be! :-) I alway wash the quilt once it is done so the my markings and the disolvable thread will be removed. So easy.
With a larger quilt of course, and with Sharon Schambers method you need to baste with regular thread or Perle Cotton (it holds the sandwich together better because it is a little rougher and won't budge) I never depend on pins and find them awkward to use.