Thread: Art Quilters?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 02:10 AM
Judebug

Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
These are so beautiful. How does a person find out how to learn to art quilt?
JuneBillie, You've asked what probably many following this thread are also thinking. I'm no expert on the subject but I'd like to encourage EVERYONE, that you each have a creative voice and are capable of using it - with or without a 'formal' artistic education. When I decided to leap into art quilting in 2009 I'd surfaced from 21 years of traditional quilting techniques which had provided me with the confidence to branch out. I'd also crafted and played with many other art mediums so I was comfortable with combining them in various experiments with my small quilts. I brought up the idea of Journal Quilting earlier in this thread because it provides a routine practice of playing with what you already know and purposefully trying something new each time. If you stay within a 12" square or something not much larger, you will not feel like you are wasting supplies and time on big pieces you may not like or come to a dead end on. Art quilting is really all about experimentation, getting comfortable with various techniques and then you may want to work in a series or on a specific theme to keep you more focused on what you want your artistic voice to say in your work. Due to the surge in art quilt popularity over the past several years, there are plenty of art quilting technique books available on the market online or in local book shops. If possible, find a buddy with like interest who will experiment with you. This thread will hopefully enlighten all levels of art quilters through encouragement and sharing your experiences and photos. Set your goals and get going!