Thread: "Candy Jar"
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 06:34 AM
ejpkam

Ha ha love the story!!! that is soo awesome! My hub is a 4 time Iraq vet so I know where your coming from trying to get stuff done!

Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
Not undercharging ourselves is the hardest thing! And you may not belive it now, but you will do it again....and again. I have been quilting and making quilts for people for 10 years and I think I may have finally gotten my worth this last time. Let me tell you my story....Sorry, it is a bit long, but worth reading, in my opinion....

I had a 75 foot tree in my yard, pine tree, that was dead and leaning towards the house. DH is in Afghanistan. I called various tree companies for bids and they were 2-4 K!!! One man at a restaurant said he had a special tree cutting truck and would do it for 1K. I got the money out, cash, he came by, took one look at that tree and apologized, said it was up on a hill and within rought iron railing and he would have to pass. So there I am with an envelope with 1000 cash in it. I began calling more tree companies and this one man looked at it and asked when I would be home. I told him I am always home because I work from home. He asked what I do. I told him I am a longarm quilter. He said, wow, I sure would like a quilt, just for my recliner....I replied....how would you like it to be flannel backed and with a big pocket at the bottom for your feet, so it wouldn't slide off your feet? Oh, he said, I would really like that. So I told him if he would remove that tree for 1000 I would make him a quilt like that....he reached out and shook my hand and said DEAL! Before the tree was cut down he decided he wanted to give his wife a recliner quilt for Christmas and asked me how much I would charge. I told him $500. He agreed. I paid him the entire 1000 for the tree and 2 weeks later he came back for the two quilts and paid me the $500. Now, is that battering at its best or what? He wanted his all in blues and his wife's blue and red....I was able to use from my stash and thank you, Accu Go! except for the flannel backing for the3 wife's quilt, I had to order that....and we were both happy with the deal.
Michelle