Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by hootnannie View Post
I recently bought a Singer 319w which came complete with all cams and manual and extras. The man's mom and
grandma were seamstresses. The only issue it has is the needle hits the bobbin area. I'm thinking it probably has the
wrong needle as I know they take a 206x13. My question is how do I know the difference in right verses wrong needle?
Could it be a timing thing? My second question is where is the serial number? My other vintage machines display it on
the base or column. I researched that they were only made 1955-57 but I'd like to find out the specifics. I don't post
often but read this thread daily and have learned an enormous amount. Mostly I appreciate the characters and funnies of the regulars and have gotten to know you all well. Thanks for it all.
You're going to need the 206 x 13 needles anyway, so you might as well buy some and give them a try. Though if the machine is seriously hitting the case, it sounds like it may be out of time. I had to retime mine as well in the cleaning process. You just undo the screws (2) in the bobbin assembly area and you can move the bobbin assembly. It took me a looong time of moving over a smidge and rotating the handwheel, moving it over a smidge and rotating the handwheel to make sure it was timed correctly. Yes, the serial # isn't going to tell you anything about date on this machine.