View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Cybrarian

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I would tell him "let's make a deal that we each will make something for the other". Because if he really does feel bad when he doesn't get you anything this gives him an opportunity to "make" you a gift - it could be something as simple as a home cooked meal; a complete auto detailing of your car; or something else that requires manual labor. One year my daughter gave me a coupon book that she made containing coupons for cleaning house, cooking a meal, making my favorite dessert, etc.
This is what I was thinking, I also think the New Year's Eve or it could be Christmas Eve idea is good. It also depends on if there are others there when you exchange gifts or just the two of you. Some embarrassment comes from appearing "thoughtless" in front of others, then you have to explain...yada yada. I like the gift exchange idea, and this way it is an exchange which prevents him from feeling bad or awkward. Just tell him, we don't have to go out and buy each other gifts we can exchange meaningful gifts of time. Let him give you a few ideas and include one with the quilt or pick something you know he will appreciate-a back rub, foot rub, a "you pick the menu and the movie night at home", etc.