Old 08-07-2009, 01:25 PM
GailG

You know, after my earlier response, I was thinking that instead of buying the magazines, a new (or even an experienced ) quilter would benefit more from purchasing a few good books written by professional or seasoned quilters. I have several and have gone to them as good resources. At first I looked for books that "started from the beginning." I looked for good illustrations, good step-by-step instructions, and all of the things that a new quilter may not be aware of. For instance -- what are the sizes of different quilts: baby, lap, couch, twin, double, queen, king? What tools are most necessary? Care of fabrics. Etc. Piecing techniques.

A lot of books come to mind, and I know which ones I like best. I don't want to seem as though I'm advertising any of the authors or books. Many books would suit the needs a new quilter. I still consider myself a beginner, even though I began in 1995. There are so many things that I don't know. And truthfully, this board has been my favorite "book."
Just the day-to-day advice and comments are good learning devices. And let's not forget the tutorials. I know a lot of you could add more than this. I'm still learning my way around the board. I learn something new everyday.