Old 12-08-2011, 03:18 PM
ManiacQuilter2
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kpelletier83 View Post
I too let my money speak for me. I have a wonderful store near me called "$1.99 Fabric Store". They have varying
qualities of fabric. I feel the fabric. If it is then and stiff I don't buy it. If I were making a special quilt I would spend the
extra and go to my LQS. If I had unlimited funds I would stick with the LQS cause their fabrics are wonderful.
DITTO !!! You just have to be able to carefully search thru all the fabrics. JAF is getting more of a better line in their stores but the price has gone up to $9.99 a yard. Even Wal-mart has VIP and some Fabric Traditions. These stores buy in bulk so I doubt if they are buying 2nd or 3rd. Fabrics companies normally sell their seconds and unsold fabrics to dealers who primarily then resell the fabrics to smaller chain stores that can be either flatfolds or on a bolt with a different manufacturer name on the bolt. It is NOT difficult to spot the lower quality of fabrics. Those small chain stores ALL closed in Southern California such as Ben Franklin. You ALSO have to remember that most of the fabrics are being produced cheaply in China.