Old 12-08-2011, 05:53 PM
k9dancer

Default refurbish antique machine

Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
The rusted bits are now pretty much rust free, but "pitting" remains-- damage caused by the rusting, I'm sure. not sure what to do about that. But will continue on.

In the meantime, I'm stuck at the removal of the handwheel because I can't get the internal wheel to budge. I removed the little screw, but I can't get that bugger to turn one iota. WD 40, tapping, screaming, mason jar lid rubber remover thingies... Husband now home, I'm going to put him on it, but I don't think he's going to make any better progress, and I don't know any heavy weights/linebacker types... Any other suggestions?

In the meantime, I'll return to my 1977 Montgomery Ward Signature and do some... quilting.
For pitting, get yourself a vibrating tumbler from a gunsmith site or maybe amazon. Fill it with chopped walnut or corncob. Place your evaporust treated pieces in it; I frequently let the thing go all night. To start, check it every 3 or 4 hours, though. Then use some metal polish after the tumbler has done its best.

Also, if you have a rusted piece that you don't want to remove for whatever reason, soak a cotton pad in evaporust and wrap it around the piece. Check frequently, like every hour. Do not wash off the evaporust; just wipe with a soft cloth.

For the handwheel (I've had several of these puppies stuck like they were welded): turn the machine on its side, handwheel up. I use an elaborate box/styrofoam holder. Anyway, once the machine is secure, apply Kroil. Yes, it's expensive, but it works. Apply several times a day, and use the hair dryer from time to time. It will eventually loosen up without damage to the machine.

Last edited by k9dancer; 12-08-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typos