View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Candace

Originally Posted by LyndaK View Post
I'm a 301 fan as well. I own a black longbed. I'm also getting a short "end flap" for it so I can fit it into my sewing cabinet. I did own a tan short bed and sold it a little while ago, as I just couldn't justify two. However, I couldn't fit the cabinet into my car to deliver it and the new owner didn't care about the cabinet. I kept it and decided to look around for the short end, and have one coming up from the States. I'm pretty excited as I love sewing on my 301 and the cabinet with the lid that extends out holds quilts well while I free motion.

I was told that free motion on the rotary bobbin machines is easier than on the drop in bobbins because of the thread path. I don't know about that, but it is easier for me to free motion on my 301 , my Singer 115 treadle and my FW's. than on my Singer 401. I just really enjoy sewing on these vintage machines.....much more fun than on my computerized ones, much as I hate to admit it......
Lynda, I agree with you. I spent quite a bit FMQ on my 401 and it just doesn't compare to the 301! Now, the 401 is great too with all the decorative stitches and such, but yes the drop in bobbins can cause some tension issues and the 301 just does it so smoothly and nicely.