Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 AM
mopec

I do not quilt, but I read this board all of the time as I would love to quilt...someday. My grandmother was a quilter, both piecing and hand quilting for other people. She started on quilts for her grandchildren, but mine was the only one she got completely done before she passed. She did get blocks made for quilts for all. She has been gone for 50 years but how I love to look at my quilt and pick out fabrics that I remember wearing or remember family members wearing. I am old enough to have had dresses made out of printed feed sacks (probably most of you have no idea what that is). I purchased at auction the blocks made for two of my cousins' quilts as they didn't want them. The blocks are hand pieced, irregular, and all types of material, but I could not see letting these get out of the family. I hope before I die to get these into quilt tops somehow. I have three daughters and that would be a quilt for each that their great grandmother had pieced. Sorry to ramble. I marvel at the beautiful quilts on this board, made with the beautifully coordinated fabrics and patterns and yearn to have the desire to do this...but, oh how I love the old quilts made with whatever fabric was available, even the good parts of used clothing. It connects me to my past as I touch the fabric and tell my grandchildren about my dresses that were made from it.