Old 12-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by barbz689 View Post
I have a slant needle 404 singer sewing machine. I have had it for awhile, but unfortunately I can't get it to run properly for long. I have tried different setting, but so far nothing works. For the last setting, I loosened the tension from nuber 3 back to zero and I set it to a larger stitich. It will stitch about 8 inches down the cloth, and then it starts gathering and the bobbin thread gets alll tangled. So I have to cut the fabric from the thread. I'm wondering if a repair man can even fix it? Any advice would be appreciated.
There are a couple things that could be wrong with it and I wished I lived closer to you as I could probably fix it for you. Do you have a manual? You can try disassembling the tensioner, cleaning it and re-installing it. The tensioner may need this adjustment. After doing that and you still get tangles, I'd suggest changing the bobbin case tension with the small screw. I'd only touch the bobbin case after adjusting the tensioner. Both are shown in the manual.