Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Oh Monica, that quilting is beautiful! What do you mean, you "slowly followed the lines of a pattern on a separate fabric?" You just looked at the pattern and made it? Or you actually drew the lines to follow with something like a light box? You did an absolutely gorgeous job - how ever you did it! Yes, you can FM with the Davis! I have mostly used my Davis for binding - did a little FM - but, I prefer the 15-88 treadle for FM! Candace, I saw that you tried to FM with your 319, but didn't have much success? I think that 319w is a great sewing, piecing machine, but get yourself a Davis VF or even better a Singer Model 15 for FM!

Nancy
Actually, I've found my Bernina 830 with regulator(shhhhh, not vintage) is the bomb, but my 301's can't be beat for FMQ over all my other vintage machines. Though, I have to say, unbelievably my Singer 185(similar to 99) is an awesome FMQ! I was really surprised by that. Yes, the harp is small, but it makes a great stitch. The feed dogs don't lower, but that doesn't bother me much. I've been in the process of trying all my vintage machines at FMQ this week, just so I have a handle of their strengths and weaknesses.