Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Actually, I've found my Bernina 830 with regulator(shhhhh, not vintage) is the bomb, but my 301's can't be beat for FMQ over all my other vintage machines. Though, I have to say, unbelievably my Singer 185(similar to 99) is an awesome FMQ! I was really surprised by that. Yes, the harp is small, but it makes a great stitch. The feed dogs don't lower, but that doesn't bother me much. I've been in the process of trying all my vintage machines at FMQ this week, just so I have a handle of their strengths and weaknesses.
It's ok about the Bernina 830, since it's still old -and an excellent machine. I want to spend a week doing the same thing you are doing, the comparing the quality of FM quilting with all the vintage machines.

I do like FM with my Singer 15-90 in treadle. At present, it is in a treadle in back corner of my "command center" with cutting mats on top of it and other junk. I didn't feel like pulling her out yesterday; so, I gave the Davis a go. I was very surprised at the FM from the Davis machine. The technique and feel of FM quilting with the Davis is different from the Singer 15s.