View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 07:02 PM
JoanneS

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by kluedesigns
Originally Posted by JoanneS
I'm about to sew my blocks. I like to make templates and cut fabrics when I do paper piecing - less waste fabric LOL. Here's a picture - I hope!
how much larger do you cut the piece over what you need to cover that section on the foundation?
I cut the center blocks 1/4" wider all around. I cut the triangles from a 3-1/2" square on the diagonal - yielding slightly MORE than 1/4" all around. I'll sew one block and square up to make sure it squares to 5". Actually, If I'd been thinking BEFORE cuutting, I would have paper-pieced a sample block first! I hope this doesn't wind up on the 'Silly things I've done - - -' thread :oops:
LOL - i can't wait to see it.

i've been wondering about how to be frugal with paper piecing a jane since the waste can amount to double the fabric needed across an entire jane quilt of 220 blocks.
It worked out ok - barely LOL I should have cut the triangles a trifle larger to give myself wiggle room. Yes - this really IS the way to be frugal when paper piecing.

Also, I'm using Nancy - or is it Judy? - Martin's paper piecing method.

Mark your sewing lines as usual, but do it on the UNshiney side of FREEZER PAPER. Then sew one needle width INSIDE each of the lines with an UNthreaded needle. Fold on each sewn line toward the UNshiney side. Begin piecing by placing piece #1 right side up on the SHINEY side and tap your iron in the middle. This will make it stick to the freezer paper. Place piece#2 right side down on piece #1 as usual for paper piecing. Here's the good part: BEFORE sewing, fold the freezer paper back on the sewing line. NOW sew right next to the fold - which is where the drawn line would be if you had not folded the paper. EUREKA - no paper to pick out! Fold the paper back in place. and continue piecing.

This probably sounds confusing, but try it once, and you'll understand. If you've done paper-piecing and hate pulling out paper bits, and the time it takes, this is faster. You can use each freezer paper template many times before it loses its 'stick-um'- so you don't have to have a paper template for every block.