View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 AM
kellen46

[QUOTE=DonnaFreak;4765800]OK.....somebody has GOT to know what the secret is to sewing a circle without it being more jagged than a shark's teeth! I just wanna know who's holding out on filling me in?!?!? HELP!!! *grumble* LOL!

What kind of circle are you trying to sew....a pieced or appliquéd one.

For appliqué circle I do a basting stitch right at the edge of the circle and gently gather it, just a bit not much. Then I turn it over on the ironing board and from the wrong side with the help of a point turner gently smooth the outer edge while pressing it flat. I turn it over to the right side and check for un-smooth places and coax it into shape. finally I iron the circle with a bit of starch and appliqué it down. This is good for smaller circles.
Or you you can use the Eleanor Burns method. Layer fine fusible interfacing with a finished size circle drawn on it. Layer right side of fabric to fusible side of interfacing. Stitch on the line all around. Separate the interfacing from fabric and cut a bit out big enough to pull the piece right side out. I then trim a way most of the interfacing to with in a half inch of sewn line. I then heat press the circle from the fabric side to my block and stitch the now finished edge down. I have made multiple layed circles like this, trimming away the excess fabric after each stitch down the added bulk is removed and the cut-aways are always reusable as smaller circles.