Old 12-09-2011, 03:13 PM
QuiltnCowgirl

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Be sure to check the stitch out capability of the decorative stitches. The cams on these break inside. If he lets you, unscrew the top and take a look. I just found out that the camstack in my Morse is all busted. Though I've been sewing with it for a year and the decorative stitches are fine. That's why I hadn't noticed. I'm sure I purchased it like that, but being a newbie collector I never checked the camstack. It seems sometimes the cam stack breaks in such a way that the stitching is fine...and other times nope! In any case if the camstack is visibly broken, you may be able to negotiate a better price:>

Also, the feed dogs do NOT drop on my Morse. I don't know if this is a big issue to you as you were saying that's what you were shopping for. There's a normal setting and a silk/nylon setting(a bit lower but not dropped). This machine looks to be the same in that regards. I FMQ with mine the other day and it did a very nice job of it.
Thanks Candace - I will check both items out. Though I have my Singer 403 with all of it's decorative stitches. Thanks to Cathy at TOGA I now have the complete set of cams. Re: FMQ - so does it still FMQ ok even though the feed dogs on yours don't drop all the way down? I googled the machine & seemed that all of the comments I found re: FMQ with this model were positive. So just wondering.