Old 12-10-2011, 10:45 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by crewsemj View Post
Will try posting this another way in hopes someone can help me. This is my first treadle machine & I know not what I'm doing. Have been trying to find one like it on the internet but have had no luck. All I can get is mostly singer machines. I mostly would like to know where and what kind of needles and bobbins to try to find for it. The only needle & bobbin I have is what came with it. Found a bag of parts yesterday with a shuttle and some bobbins and other stuff in it (price was right) but they are to short. Can someone take me under their wing and help me out please?
First off, start by cleaning her up and giving her a name- must have a name...which sometimes comes to you as you clean the machine.

ONLY, clean the machine with sewing machine oil. It will clean up. You can use Bar Keepers cleaner for the rusty metal parts just don't get it on the rest of the machine.

Look at MUV's tutorial for cleaning. You really don't even need all of those items to clean up the machine to get it running.

Wipe down the cabinet with Murphy's oil soap. IF you need to repair areas of the cabinet, Glenn can help you there. I think he even posted a tutorial somewhere. Others may have their favorite product to use for cleaning up the wood.

For the treadle irons, wipe of with damp clothe, let dry, and then wipe with oil. That should be enough to get it ready for treadling for now.

I think New Home machines take a 20x1 needle, but I could be wrong; so, best to check the needle chart from ISMACS, bottom of that page has link to chart. http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...edle-list.html

Needles and bobbins can be found on ebay. Treadle belt can be found at some sewing stores or on ebay.

Link to understand the vibrating shuttle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrating_shuttle

Last edited by vintagemotif; 12-10-2011 at 10:49 AM.