View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Denise S

Over the years I have had people say that I should sell my quilts. I recently made a lap size quilt using beautiful high quality designer fabric....my daughter said people are selling those for 80 bucks on line. I told her that's how much the fabric alone cost me! In order to make any money, I would have to charge $200-$250. I don't think I could afford to buy my own quilt. (Although, I guess if you had a business, you would be able to purchase the fabric at cost)

People can go to Macy's, JC Penney, Walmart, Target, Kohls and find a wide range of quality and affordability in products. Most people don't know the time, cost, or effort that goes into making handmade items, unless they themselves do something or they live with someone that does.

I would love to sell quilts on line, or otherwise. I just don't know how to market it to the right demographic of people who could afford it. Also, I am not sure if trying to sell my quilts would take some of the enjoyment away and just put pressure on me, or be frustrated if there were no buyers.

This is a great topic and I am really interested in the advice of those of you who make a decent profit selling your quilts/crafts.