View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 06:35 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GailG
Oh my, bearisgray, I had forgotten about the order of washing. I did the same thing. Our washer was downstairs in the garage. By the time it got to the DH's heavily soiled work clothes, I was so tired going up and down the stairs (usually lugging one little one on my hip and one "in the oven" I would just let that work clothes agitate forever. He had the cleanest uniforms at the shop (he was a farm equipment/automobile mechanic). :lol: Thanks for the memory.
My father-in-law did the contracting for our house which was built (1961-1962). My in-laws gave us the property the house is setting on.

The in-laws had just gotten a new house maybe five years earlier, so I think a lot of their attitude was "if it's good enough for us, it's certainly good enough for you"

Anyway - the laundry area is downstairs - had the wringer washing machine, BUT we had a water heater, could fill the machine with a hose from the faucets, had two cement tubs, could let the water out of the machine into a floor drain! This was such an improvement over what I had. This was truly living in the lap of luxury.

I also got LOTS of exercise on wash day.

Once in a while the laundry got truly out of hand and I would trek to the laundromat with a mountain of dirty clothes.

We finally got a dryer maybe sometime in the 70's. I finally got an automatic washer sometime in the early 1990s.

We have a septic system so there was a concern about overloading that. And I thought the hook-up was going to be a big deal. It wasn't.

Stairs are not a big issue for me yet. I sometimes do use the handrail to help haul myself up and sometimes I do the "old lady" way of getting up steps - go up one step- bring the other foot up - go up another step-bring the other foot up even . ..

I haven't had a clothesline up north since we got the dryer - we couldn't agree on where to put it. In Florida there's one out back in the "alley" - it's not really an alley because there's no road there, but I don't know what else to call it.