Old 12-10-2011, 10:33 PM
MacThayer

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Hmmmm, I am reminded of a thank you note from four of my friends. I had told all four that I would make them a quilt if they bought the fabric and selected the pattern (from patterns I had made already....nothing new for me to learn.) All four took me up on it, and we met for lunch and then went to a fabric store for each to buy fabric. At lunch, they had offered to pay me to make the quilts, and I told them "they couldn't afford me, that it would take 40 hours to make each quilt, and even at minimum wage, they couldn't pay me to do it. I just wanted to make them each a quilt they liked."

Four months later I delivered the quilts, at the same time at a lunch at one of their houses....their idea, not mine. (I never dreamed they wouldn't want to see the quilts until I had made all four.) Each lady was delighted with her quilt, and they had even bought me a $100 gift card from a quilt store. Nice lunch. HOWEVER, the thank you card with the card said that they felt so lucky that I didn't sew well enough to sell my quilts, as it was to their advantage, since I sewed well enough to sew for them.

That lunch was two months ago, and I am still hurt by that comment. They did learn though that a quilt is not cheap, as even though I warned them that buying the fabric would not be cheap, they were each surprised at how much it cost just for the fabric. The quilts, by the way, turned out beautifully, and I sew quite well, thank you!!

Oh, it feels good to finally fuss out loud about that.

Dina

Oh, that was so unkind, and so unthinking. You must be a great actress. I'm not sure I could have hid my feelings so well, and acted normal, after reading that card. Obviously, it's not your sewing that prevents you from selling your quilts. It's your choice not to sell your quilts. Big difference!! I agree, since you are still upset about it, I think you should have a kind talk with all 4 friends present, and just be honest and up front about why the remark hurt you so much, and then let them be understanding. And if they're not understanding, maybe you need new friends!