Old 12-11-2011, 06:59 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Actually, I've found my Bernina 830 with regulator(shhhhh, not vintage) is the bomb, but my 301's can't be beat for FMQ over all my other vintage machines. Though, I have to say, unbelievably my Singer 185(similar to 99) is an awesome FMQ! I was really surprised by that. Yes, the harp is small, but it makes a great stitch. The feed dogs don't lower, but that doesn't bother me much. I've been in the process of trying all my vintage machines at FMQ this week, just so I have a handle of their strengths and weaknesses.
Candace have you ever tried to FM with a 15? I do FM with all my Pfaff's, but I haven't tried it with the 319w - I don't have a 301 to try! I have done FM with my Davis Vertical Feed, but the machine that I prefer to FM with is my 15-88 treadle! I love that machine for one; it is awesome to FM with because it has a prefect stitch and the feed dogs drop; two because I am treadling I get a really nice pattern and stitch length (I think because you don't have speed bursts like you can with an electric machine) - you go much slower and more steady when treadling. Anyway, I haven't tried most of the other machines, but I know my 15 clone's would be awesome to FM too because the feed dogs drop. But, again with the clones, I would be using an electric machine with the speed problem - sometimes I get heavy on the gas pedal!

Nancy