View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 09:21 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

many of my quilts include (to some extent-alot or a little) used fabrics from thrift store clothes- fabrics from yard sales- fabrics from what ever store---i have never in 35 years had a quilt fall apart due to the fabric- i've had problems with poor thread (not a poor quality thread- it was just old & not stored well)
i have a (rule) about purchases----i am very TOUCHY-FEELY when shopping for fabrics---i touch everthing...i unroll some of the bolt and look at it-and am constantly touching, petting, caressing it--if i like the way it feels- as much as what it looks like determines on whether or not i purchase it- the price truely is a secondary factor===i do refuse to pay certain (what i consider ridiculous) prices- but if it's inexpensive---it just depends on what it feels like- and looks like-
i have bought many clothing items at thrift stores specifically for quilting because it is a fabulous print or color- i can not find in any store...again- i feel it- caress it---if i like it i buy it---and i use it all-
i am always telling (new quilters and old quilters) no one is going to know if the fabrics you used came from an lqs, wally world, the goodwill or an on line shop---unless you tell them!
if someone says---oh i love that fabric---where did you get it? and it's (someone i don't want to really tell) i just say--oh i had it in my stash- hard telling now where it came from
the source-and the price is not important (as long as you are not breaking your bank shopping) the look and feel of the fabric is what matters ...don't sweat the small stuff you do not have to admit to anyone if you found it in an old jumper at the salvation army for 50 cents---and got a whole yard out of it!