Old 12-12-2011, 02:17 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Oh crud!! It followed me home tonite, and whined so piteously at the door that I had to let her in! Meet the new lady of the house. She came with nothing but the "clothes" on her back (a style 56 cabinet)...that and a BUNCH of dust! Now I'm thinking I shouldn't have sold all of those slant shank parts!! LOL Oh well, I still have a pink egg buttonholer...and the other stuff is easy to find on ebay, or the local thrift stores!

What's a girl to do? I couldn't leave her out in the cold, could I? (I really didn't want any of the slants, for some reason they didn't appeal to me! LOL)
AH Charlee the 403 is my all time favorite zigzag machine!!! You can set the needle left, right and center even when you do decorative stitches. You need a complete set of disks anyway. I just cleaned a 503 up to sell, but it cleans the same. There is a little pin the needle bar goes on - to locate it, push on the needle bar and look down - see if it has any dried on oil. That needs to clean off with a solvent. Then when you have that cleaned and the lid off, push on it again. Watch under the rectangle thing next to the disk... Oh silly me, remove the disk. Then look way down there next to that round thing and over it to the left - ah you maybe found it - another of those pins. Get the oil off it. The clean the readers above it. Get the oil off all that stuff and re-oil. Then clean the rest like normal. You should be good to go for a nice sewing session. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...3a-t70011.html some more info - page 2 shows the needle bar and pin. You'll have to find the other one on your own. Those are very frequently gunked up when they follow me home. Any zz slant-o-matic gets gunk there. I frequently have had to pay more for the attachments than the machines - probably because nobody cleans that gunk out.