View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 06:21 AM
amandasgramma

I am a longarmer and the price isn't bad at all! Here's some pricing examples:
Quilting a basic meandering quilting can cost as little as $.01 per square inch (a 100 x 100 quilt would be $100.00)
And fancier design, more denser design or a custom FANCY design can cost up to $.05 per square inch (same size quilt would be $500.00)
Add the cost of thread ---- some longarmers charge a flat $8.00 per color..........some longarmers charge PER bobbin!
Adding a binding --- can cost up to $.20 per LINIER inch............hand sewing the binding on costs more.
Any special needs, such as ironing costs more.

Remember, the quilter is WORKING...you wouldn't expect a business to not charge somehow for the expense of stocking the shelves.

My concern with your question is ---- the quilter SHOULD have made the price understood BEFORE she started quilting it. Your wife and you SHOULD have known how much it would cost and not be surprised when picking it up.

Your question -- can you quilt a quilt on a home machine..........yes. BUT, I can't on my sewing machine because it's too small. the neck of the machine to do a queen size quilt should be a larger one. I also can't quilt on my home machine --------I lack the ability to DO it!!! I have a longarm (like the others are talking about).....the quilt stays rolled on rollers and doesn't move, I move the machine. On a home sewing machine, the machine stays steady and you move the quilt -- ARRRGH! I tried forever and couldn't do it!!!!

Last edited by amandasgramma; 12-12-2011 at 06:23 AM.