Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by bdschafer View Post
I know this is not a vintage machine, but I'm hoping that you folks will know your machines!! I'm looking for a machine that will do free motion quilting. A friend is happy with her Brother PQ1500. It only does straight sewing and that is ok with me, as I have another machine (Singer 500) that does other things, but it does not like to do free motion!!! My question is- is this a good machine or is there another that would be better??? I found the Brother on e-bay for $600. I sure would like any suggestions that you folks might have.
Thanks.
I posted just after you that I'm not thrilled with my 401 for FMQ...and your 500 is basically the same machine. Machines that have drop in bobbins, just aren't as good with FMQ. Now, since you've already got a vintage machine and it's in your blood, do you have to have a "new" machine? There are some GREAT vintage machines that do awesome FMQ that can be had in the $20-$150 range.... Just one example is the highly coveted Singer 301. I wouldn't buy a new machine on ebay, period. I'd go to my local dealer where I could get support, classes and have any warranty issues dealt with professionally. To me this is worth a few extra bucks. Also, your local dealer will have trade ins for sale and can usually extend a store warranty on used machines. You won't get ANY warranty on a used machine bought over ebay. Just some things to think of.