View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 01:36 PM
sewbeadit

Hi, I have the green viking and am looking for bobbins for it. Would you know where I could get some or what size they may be? I don't have a clue what to look for or where to find. My machine runs really well, sews really well and is quiet and nice to use, but heavy.lol I had a new 1974 top of the line Kenmore, and used it forever, had a chance to trade it in on a new electronic fancy machine Singer when they first came out years ago and I couldn't do it, my machine was so good didn't want to take the chance of getting a new machine that wasn't as good, and turns out I was so glad I did! Kenmores are usually really good machines.

Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
It started with the Model 71 my neighbor brought me (the VSMS thread, post #28670). I was home for a family funeral this week, and on my way back out of town, stopped by the junk shop where I bought my Pfaff 130 this summer. (And the guy remembered me, and gave me the Pfaff buttonholer he'd found the day after I was there. He kept it on the off chance I ever went back. How cool is that?)

Apparently that original Kenmore called the others, now I have a bunch. I picked up a 148.12170; grubby, turns, but has no foot controller, so I don't know if it runs or not. I'm assuming 1950's-it's pea soup green. This one will go to my osmg for resale.

Also a 7057a (Dressmaker Stretch Stitch), which has a mostly metal body-the front and top are plastic. It's printed "Made in Poland" on the back of the pillar. It's grubby, but runs. This one I'll clean up and keep until I run into someone who says, "I'd like to learn how to sew, but I don't have a sewing machine."

My favorite is a 117.958. I can find *nothing* online about it. It looks like it's related to the Kenmore Imperial Rotary--same body--but model number is 117.591. I had to cut the cord to get it out of the table, but that was no loss. It was a knee bar (which I don't like), and had clearly been snacked on by some member of the family Rodentia, possibly a party of them. It's frozen stiff and missing the bobbin case, but I'm keeping this one-it's too cool looking not to. It's also got a really weird tension plate? disc? that I'm going to have to track down a manual to figure out, I think. It reminds me of a 30's train engine, and it's about that heavy, too. I'd love to know more about this model, if anyone has any info. Anyone know/want to guess when it was made?

I got a Singer 237 too, which is (gasp!) clean, and works fine. This one will also go to my osmg-they're his favorite.

The last shot is a pic of my aunt's Viking, that I brought back for a tuneup. She bought it second-hand nearly 30 years ago, and I love it! I've only ever seen green Elna's like this before. It has a cute litte red suitcase that I'll replace the lining in before I send it back.