View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 04:13 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Default Paying for the quilting

I consider myself still a beginner and pay to have someone else do the quilting on bed size quilts. I always do my own
binding,which saves some $$. I also am learning to do machine quilting (hand quilting hurts my hands) on baby quilts,
table toppers, lap quilts, etc. But my Elna, while I love it, is just not set up to easily do a bed size, plus I don't have the
space to lay a bed size quilt out to baste. There is a new shop about 40 miles away that is a long arm machine shop--
both sales and renting time on one (you have to take a certification course first which I plan to do this summer). Look around and see if there is that kind of set-up in your area--then she can see if she really wants to do machine quilting on a long arm. I have a friend that does fairly inexpensive machine quilt who I send those quilts that are fairly plain("using quilts") but for my son's wedding quilt and another bargello I'm working on I intend to use another quilter that gets real fancy--and know I'll pay more. So there are many variables to consider.