View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 PM
jmanghamom

Default Hints on candy making

I know a lot of people think they can't make candy. Well anyone can, if they go about it right. First of all invest in a good candy thermometer. Now that you have it or had one do you know that the boiling point may be different in your area as in mine? To make sure you get an accurate reading put your theromometer in a pan of water and bring it to a boil. Check to see what your thermometer says, and remeber to add or deduct that many degrees when you make candy. For instance if your water was boiling at a full boil and your thermometer read 203 degrees then you must deduct 9 degrees from your soft ball stage, etc. (212 degree is considered boiling point in most sea level areas)

I never use a wooden spoon that has been used for other cooking when I make divinity. I keep a set of wooden spoons in my cupboard just for making divinity. Make sure your whip your egg whites in a glass or metal bowl, never plastic. Some mixers have a coating on your beaters, do not use them for whipping egg whites for candy or merengues.

I hope this helps. I use to teach candy making for a major company and those were two of the most impotant things I was taught.