View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Rettie V. Grama

I use sheets for backing and piecing all the time. With the quality and cost of some of the fabric today. What's a person to do? It would cost with the type of fabric I use (very high thread count) including the batting it would cost close to $100 just for the fabric. It is almost impossible to buy single sheets and the cost of them or a set is outrageous. I buy at Goodwill and Salvation Army. In fact, the nicest fabric I have bought lately was at Goodwill. I did buy 2 yards of fabric for a top. Would you like to hear the price I paid for it on sale? $13.95 per yard. Going to be a really nice, expensive top. But to look at the good side. With my experience, I will have a top to rival any top for Macy's, Boston Store or any of the other top rated stores at a cost at least triple my home made one. An example of fabric I don't like to buy from a store is my experience yesterday. I needed some batic for a quilt block. I won't mention the store I went to, but I never saw so much 'cheesy' fabric in all my life. I bought half a yard at $9.99 a yard. Oh yes, they have beautiful fabric at the front of the store, but the price is way over my budget many times. Does anyone else have this kind of experience in a fabric store? I talked with one lady who said the same thing.