View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Quilt Mom

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I have used quilts for sheets and they were fine. My first large bed sized quilt (in the late 1870's) was a king size with a lovely blue green scene of water and palm trees -- I hand embroidered the quilt through the batting and backing echoing the entire pattern and adding some detail that was not in it. It was a bit harder to get through the sheets, but some ivory soap worked to help get the needle through the layers. It came out beautiful -- and I wish I still had it. When we moved to a new house, it had a different color scheme and DH took it to Goodwill one day since it was "just sitting around" -- I cried.
I would have been in the car going to Goodwill to retrieve the quilt, if my DH did that. I can imagine how difficult it was for you to find out he had done that.

By the way, I use sheets, too. I have also started using them for the pillowcases people are asking for lately... When I buy a sheet, it is usually in a set if new. Then I cut the bottom sheet into pieces to go into the top. Voila! A coordinated top and backing, and the pillowcases match. (A lot of times this is with flannel sheets for kids, and they love the results. There are lots of wonderful prints in the flannel.)

Last edited by Quilt Mom; 12-13-2011 at 07:50 AM.