View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 AM
margecam52

I'll let you decide if your wife paid too much. Here is what I would charge for basic panto or meander on a pieced quilt with some applique:
This will be for a queen size quilt measuring 90" x 90" square.

90x 90= 8100 sq inches
my charge is 2.5 cents per sq in for a quilt that is applique...you can't do basic meander on an appliqued quilt...at least not totally...you have to echo each applique...and then quilt around that.
So,
8100 x .025=$202.50, and that is just to quilt it.

Binding by machine:
370" of binding
(90x4=360, plus a few inches for the mitered corners)

I charge 15 cents per linear inch to machine apply the binding
370 x .15= 54.00

Hand sewing I charge 25 cents per inch-
370 x .25= $92.50

Sounds like a lot...but you have to understand, it takes a lot of time to hand sew a binding on. You first have to make the binding, then you have to sew to one side, making the mitered corners, then turn the binding to the wrong side and either machine or hand stitch the binding down.

Since I don't know the size of your wife's quilt...you can use the above (which is at the low end of the spectrum) to figure out if the pricing was fair.

I'd say it was more than fair.
Marge

Originally Posted by KellyAustin View Post
Hi all, I'm new here! My wife is just getting into quilting and she is trying to find some advice.

She finished the applique and front patterns on her first quilt (queen size) and it looks really great. She bought the batting and the fabric for the back.

She decided to pay someone to quilt it together into the final product. She was quoted $170. Now it is finished and the final amount was adjusted to $200 because the binding had to be done by hand.

This seems very expensive to me, considering all of her materials were about $100. So I have a few questions:

Do many quilters (beginners) pay someone else to assemble the quilt?
Is $170-$200 a normal price for this service?
How hard is it to put together the front, back, and battling without a quilting machine? Can it be done with a regular sewing machine like she uses to assemble the front pattern?

Thank you for your advice.