Old 12-13-2011, 12:50 PM
grammatjr

Originally Posted by EmbQuilt View Post
I am quoting myself yup cuz today, I had a lovely NOT conversation with a not so dsil. Said sil son is getting married in 2012, on Thanksgiving I spoke with my nephews fiancé about making them a wedding quilt as their present. She seemed rather receptive. I offered to show her my quilt books and make the quilt in their choice of colors as well (gave her the choice to pick the fabric if she wanted). Bride said sounds great we are about to redo the bedroom and haven't chosen a color scheme yet but I will let you know when we decide on the colors.

Sil today says well, I purchased expensive fabric for curtains and am having them custom made and have asked the lady to also make them a matching bedspread. I don't want you wasting your time and money when I've already arranged for this. I at first attempted to educate her on the difference between a bedspread and a quilt, as well as the symbolism of a wedding quilt. She insisted that she felt my time will be wasted.

Eventually gave up and didn't even say any of the nasty things going through my head - just cuz it is close to Christmas and didnt want to cause a huge family rift. I made my sil many quilted items for Christmas as well as purchased gifts for her. There is no way in HEdouble-hockey sticks that I am giving those to her. My husband says I should call my nephew to find out if it was just his mother's position or his as well. I told him I will not be making the couple anything as I know that it will hurt me with every stitch to be reminded of today.

Sorry for such a long story but I just had to share with people who would get it
Oh, no! Hopefully it was just the SIL idea, and not the grooms' too. Maybe he and the bride will find out what she plans, and ask her not to include the bedspread, as they would prefer a quilt from you.

Good for you not wanting to cause trouble in the family. But after Christmas, maybe approach the couple and ask if they still want the quilt, or if there is something different you could make. Perhaps they would love a quilt for the couch, or a wallhanging.

People just don't undertand the significance of the wedding quilt. So sad.