View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 01:32 PM
miss_ticky2

I also am not keen on hand sewing the binding. The last 2 or 3 bindings I did, I did by machine and was very pleased with it.

I sewed the binding to the back and then pressed it to the front. I then cut some very thin strips of visflex? (the stuff you use for applying an applique, that has the peel off paper on the back) and I used that to fuse the binding into place on the front. I was able to place it so that the edge of the binding was held in place right on the stitching line. I then used a blanket stitch that I have on my machine and was able to make it very narrow and barely visible. A blanket stitch (or any fancy stitch) as in the blue quilt posted further up is very nice too. I intend to use this process for any quilts I do in future.

On the other hand, the ones I have hand stitched didn't take as long and weren't as bad to do as I had thought. I, like others, sat in front of the tv and just took my time and it was soon done. I still prefer to machine stitch the bindings on though