View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 03:07 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has these jobs take a while. I've not had to re-time the same machine more than once, so I've not gotten to that assembly line stage:> Newer machines timing go off from hitting pins much easier than the vintage machines.
I would have to agree - some of those old machines have never been re-timed - they are pretty well made and can handle most anything unless you get stupid. I do remove pins as I go most of the time - with my big industrial I use glue to tack in the middle or I use clips along the edges. You learn to do what you have to don't you? One time my industrial machine went out of time because it got too cold. It was in a pole barn I had for a shop. The thing set all winter and when I cranked it up it clattered and clunked and I had a mess - thread all over the place and the shuttle was off it's set screw. That was the time it took me a month to get it put back. I tried to just stick it on there and screw it down. I should have pulled the whole thing out and started from scratch... hind sight. Now if it has been setting around, I check to see if those 2 screws are very tight. Kind of like oiling up after a machine has been setting. Always a good idea. 3 in 1 oil all dried on and gummed up could cause a machine to go out of time I'm thinking.