View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 05:08 AM
pscott392

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
warm is NOT usually the issue..safety first is always the issue! We did ours this size and then put a pocket were the lap would be, so they could keep things in it. We filled the pocket with a small pocket comb, pocket tissues and some goodies!
Jacquie, you are so right!! Since 36" x 36" was the recommended size, I just took a quick measurement as I sat in my computer chair. I have 28" from arm to arm, leaving 8" (4" for each side) to be tucked in on the side of each leg. I then measured down from my waist (sitting in the chair) and 36" hits the top of my foot. I'm 5'8" tall and, shall we say, a "full-figured woman" and the 36" x 36" would be perfect. It sounded small to me as well, but doing the measurement proved that it was a good size. There are lots of disability service-related organizations that would appreciate donations. I worked for a number of years for a Center for Independent Living (CIL) when I lived in VA whose mission is to support, encourage, and provide options to people with disabilities. They are located all across the United States (VA, I believe, had 13 Centers - maybe more). Here's a link so you can find one in your area: http://www.ilru.org/html/publication...ory/index.html