View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 07:49 AM
crashnquilt

When I first started, I got some bleached muslin (you can also use cheap sheets), a pre-packaged batting (I suggest Hobbs Heirloon 80/20). I put red thread in the needle and black thread in the bobbin. This will help you get used to adjusting needle and bobbin tensions.
Since you do not have a stitch regulator on that machine, I suggest just doing straight lines until you find the speed you are comfortable and acheive the stitch length you want. Be sure to check the bobbin threads as you work for pokies (little red dots of thread poking thru) I use a mechanics mirror and flashlight. The mirror is on a handle that you can extend.
Working on curves is the most frustrating. Good rule of thumb is, just like driving a car slow down on curves and corners. Practice writing the alphabet in cursive for getting used to curves. As you slow down on the curves you will get a short stitch length but this is recommended because it will give you a smoother looking curve.
For practicing designs, you can get some VERY SIMPLE coloring books, remove a page, place it on the practice piece and stitch on the lines right thru the paper. This doesn't hurt the machine or needle in any way.
I used Maxi Lock threads when I first started. It was much easier to get good tension in both bobbin and needle. After I had practiced a bit then I switched up to the thicker threads to get comfortable with tension adjustments.
I filled up the whole practice sheet that I had loaded before trying a real quilt top.
Just remember, when you do load that first quilt top.........YOU WILL BE TERRIFIED! But, you will get more comfortable after your first pass.
Remember to breathe (yes you will be holding your breath), relax your arms, shoulders, hands and neck (comes easier as you go along) and take SEVERAL mini breaks.
Please keep us posted on your progress. If I can be more help, just send a pm. I'm always happy to help!