View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Wholeheart Mom

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
I have been watching this thread. i just am not sure how to do my colors. I want to use my scraps for this and if you could define just how best to go about this. I have read 90% of the posts. Looked at the instructions, printed them out, just want to picture this in my mind a bit more. I know there would go the surprise, but want the colors to work right. If I have 50 different neutrals that are from 2" to 10' will that work, the same for the darks, and then the two colors? Any ideas? Just can't seem to get past this step. Sounds silly, I can create all kinds of quilts, but when working on thos scraps, can't put them together where they play nice.
You must have been playing inside my head :0)

This is my first scrappy quilt, and I am having such a hard time just "letting it happen". I admit that in the beginning, I tried to coordinate my scraps as much as possible, and ended up quite frustrated. I finally had to give up a lot of control over what I thought would/would not go well together. Just to appease myself, I did somewhat try to balance print sizes and color scales, and although it was not the perfect process I had hoped it would be, I am pleased with the results.

I also realize that this is a quilt with a lot of little pieces.... when completed, the scrappiness of all the small parts will blend and complement each other with a unique beauty all it's own. I remind myself to keep the large picture in mind, and not obsess over the minute details of every little QST and string block... not an easy thing for me to do, but I am doing it and enjoying the process immensely.

I hope you jump in soon.... the water's great over here in Orca Bay world!