View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 04:57 AM
Wingsofjoy

I made rice bags one year. They are great because they can be use as a heat pad or ice pack. Since they are soft they can be positioned for difficult places like elbows. All you do is cut a square, ( I made mine about 8 or 9 inches) sew the sides leaving one side with an opening big enough to fill the bag with rice. Turn it right side out, fill it, then sew the opening shut. I also put a note with it explaining to heat it in the microwave for about two minutes or to put it in a plastic bag and freeze it for the ice pack. You can also use beans or dried corn instead of rice. I have seen some made long like a snake for the neck. People that I gave the gift to say that they still use theirs after so many years and I know I still use the one I made for myself. If you have time you can also make a pillowcase. I did that for my grandkids because I knew theirs would get dirty and of course you can't wash the bag with the filling in it. Believe it or not my daughter tried to and it didn't turn out too well. LOL