View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Cosy

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
Do you know why the brown bag with the popcorn caught fire? Had she tried it before or was it the first time she tried it? Did she use any oil? I'm asking because I recently read about using the paper bag for popcorn and I sure would like to avoid a fire in my microwave
A couple of years ago, I popped 10 gallons of popcorn in the plain brown paper bags, took all afternoon, no fire. Just put 1/4 cup kernels in a bag, folded the top shut, and nuked them, listened for the popping to slow down.. Dumped out the popped corn into a popcorn can, and repeated until I had 2 cans full. No oil, no seasoning. We wanted to make enough for a children's activity to make chains to decorate Christmas trees. Nothing burned at all. I even collected the old maids and repopped them, about half did pop. Worked very well, and trees were charming.
I scrub my potatoes well, stab them in a couple of places, toss em in the microwave, nuke them until soft.
But for baked potato nirvana, scrub well, rub with oil, then with sea salt, leaving potato well covered with salt, bake at 450 until soft. Roll each between hands salt protected with hot pads, then squeeze to break skin. DO NOT use a knife, it will crush the flesh. Top with salt and pepper, sour cream and chopped chives. Often, this is our whole supper. with a salad and hot rolls.

Last edited by Cosy; 12-16-2011 at 07:19 PM.