Old 12-17-2011, 04:16 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I have been to Aubrey 2 times to do my hair and twice for a facial. She's in her twenties with a daughter. We were talking and I told her I made quilts and had given my kids so many quilts that they don't need any more. I said I didn't know what to do with all of them. She said "I don't have a quilt". Well, I have a choice to make. Should I give her a lap quilt? I don't think she realizes how expensive they are. I had it long armed quilted and it cost me $100 plus over $100 for the fabric. I don't have any runners to give her. She does a great job on my hair and I'm going to continue using her, but I just don't know if giving her such an expensive gift is the right thing to do. What do you think? I have quite a few quilts.
I consider myself to be a very generous person, but no, I would not give a hairdresser a quilt that you made. First off, quilts can be used to death and it is always good to have a few on hand, secondly, two haircuts? That is a tip, not a $100 LAQ job, not to mention fabric, batting, time, labor. With all respect to hairdressers, paper delivery people, I think a monetary tip would be fine, not a whole quilt. I am sorry if no one goes along with my thinking, but my time and our money is more important than a haircut. Our hairdresser (she is both my husband and my hairdresser) has been our hairdresser for nigh unto ten-twelve years now and I know she would never assume, much less expect a quilt from me. Save your lovely quilts for your family (down the road apiece). Give her a tip and maybe a box of candy or a gift certificate to a restaurant and save your quilts for either a donation to a worthy cause or save for your family. You know, maybe the best gift would be a bit of your time to show her how to make a quilt. She would have that gift for a lifetime. Edie