Old 12-17-2011, 06:58 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
I bought a red head in a treadle. The treadle has no pitman nor a screw to hold the skirt guard in place. The had converted it to a electric. I called a dealer where I get my old parts from to see if he had any for me. He told me that those things were just junk. He had no room to store junk and to try a junk dealer for those parts. I was horrified at his comment on just junk. Do any of you have any spare pitmans or screws that you would like to sell? Kathie
Kathie, the key word here is "dealer." He is trying to sell machines so he is not going to tell you the truth about the vintage ladies/gents. When I first read this, I was really surprised because I was thinking "repairman" not "dealer." Then I re-read it and realized what you said. I would only go to this "dealer" if you know he has what you want and not even talk to him about the vintage/antique machines. Most "repairmen" know and appreciate the old machines. I remember when I gave my Mother a new Pfaff to replace her 130. She took the 130 to a sewing repair shop to get it serviced for the first time in almost 60 years and that 'repairman' told her to take that machine home and use it! He said those old machines are like an old friend - they will never let you down! She gave me back the new machine and went back to using her 1952 Pfaff 130, who had never had a problem the whole time she had that machine - and she sewed almost daily all her life!

Nancy