View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Maire

Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
I bought a 'potato bag' kit yesterday from my LQS. Was excited to make it today to give as a gift! I read lots of threads regarding the pros and cons of the bag on the QB here so made sure I washed/dried the fabric, used only 100% cotton thread, and tested it in the microwave with a damp paper towel inside, hit the 'potato' button and.....the bag is now outside in the rain on the steps. It started smoking so bad and has a big brown burn spot in the inside and now I have a stinky kitchen to boot. Will never make one of these again. Perhaps others have had better luck but I feel it's just not worth the anxiety!
Same story here-I used the 'tater" batting, all cotton thread, fabric-bag burst into flames. Luckily no damage to microwave, but horrible odor for several days. It could have been horrible if I hadn't been standing next to the microwave.
About 15 yrs ago I made these bags, no problems, made them again last month because of requests-no more! I made 10 of them, cute bags, trying to decide how I can re purpose them.
Maire