View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 06:35 PM
GrandmaSewNSew

I think the "crinkle" sound might be cause by Insul-Bright or the like. I've used it in potholders and it does make that sound.

Originally Posted by M.I.Late View Post
I've recently made and used the bowl cozies. (At least that's what I call them). Have used them several times to heat instant oatmeal in the microwave or to reheat soup. I don't think I would ever want to have them in there on high for 10 minutes if that's how long baked potatoes take... That just seems like too long to me. My bowls are microwave safe, but they still get hot enough to make me jump and possibly spill the contents, so I started making some of these. When I give these as gifts though, I remind them "No longer than 4 minute intervals (that should be long enough to heat soup or stew) and use only in ovens equipped with a rotating tray. It also says never leave unattended. That's the best I can do since I can't be there with every bowl cozy I send out. Also, I caution against "Professional" hi voltage ovens.

About the ignition of the potato bags, I wonder if this was caused by using a microwave that does not have a rotating plate. I know from experience there are things I can do with a "carousel" oven that I can't do in an oven that doesn't rotate the food.

I own, "purchased" tortilla bags. I love them. Mine sound like there's some sort of plastic in them, because they "crinkle" when you squish them. Anyone know what that is? (Of course tortillas take less than 1 minute - so they've worked very well for me. I sure would like to know what is in it that makes that crackling sound. I would take them apart and find out for myself, but we use them so often, I'll just have to wait until one wears out. Anyone know?