Old 12-20-2011, 04:33 PM
vintagemotif

Today, I had some difficultly with the tension on the bottom while quilting with my Daivs. Sometimes it would make very nice stitches and then a section with loops would occur.

After some trial and error, fixing tension, and practice runs on sample fabrics, I think I know what is the problem.
The last time this happened to me, I had spray basted the fabrics. This time trying to get this project done in time for Christmas, I spray basted. Man, is that stuff nasty on the lungs. And yes, I had the windows and door wide open. I still smell that stuff. It will be the last time that I use that nasty stuff.

Well, it's not the tension. I made a sample patch of the fabrics and batting minus the spray basting, and that works well with beautiful stitches. The problem is the tension on the thread from the spray basting. These vintage machines are too sensitive for handling the spray basting. I think they know what is good for us, and it ain't that crappy spray.

So, if one has used the spray baste and has problems with their stitching, consider the cause from the spray baste.

So, Now I'm starting over by ripping out the section quilted, separating the layers of fabric and batting, washing them all by hand, and then basting by hand. I doubt this quilt will get done in time for Christmas...oh, well.