View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 08:00 AM
cheezythequiltmaker

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
I don't know anything about the Berninas or the stitch regulator, but I do know that Universal tipped needles or worn/blunted needles can cause skipped stitches, especially in free-motion quilting. If you switch to a new sharp, it might eliminate the problem. Also make sure that your needle is seated correctly according to your manual.

I had the worst skipping possible when I spray basted - the needle kept gumming up and needing to be cleaned every few stitches and it was skipping more than it hit. The last time this happened, it was a vintage scrap quilt that I ended up throwing away. Nothing I tried could make the basting spray unsticky.

I don't know any way to fix the stitching that's already messed up other than getting out the seam-ripper and re-sewing those areas. Good luck!
You have to be careful what brand of spray you use. here int he UK we have 505 spray which is very good and doesn't gum up the needle. remember you spray lightly not hevily.

The 3m spray is awful and only suitable for paper. it gums up the needle and anything else it touches.

If the skip is bad, Icut the thread in the middle of the skip and pull out a few stitches enough to tie off the threads. If you are worried about the thread loopng you could try couching the thread down whilst quilting the layers a bit by hand.

Change the needle and make sure it is large enough for the thread. sometime using a larger needle can make things not skip.

Best becks