View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 AM
sew scrappy

I attended a one room school until grade 5. I was four years old when I started, as a shortcut I walked across a field about 3/4 of a mile, crossing one creek (no bridge). Our family dog walked with me and was great at killing snakes. I recall the snow being well above my knees one year and I did get lost on the way home due to the white out conditions of the storm. My older brother found me. The school had a pot belly stove for heat. The teacher roomed in one of the students home and she also had to walk, more than twice as far as I walked (and it was uphill). My hands were so cold once when I got to school, the teacher had me put them in a bowl of ice water to warm them. It worked. That water actually felt warm. There was one other girl in my class. There were two outhouses and a hand pump for drinking water. Our little tin water cups folded up accordian style. I spent quite a bit of time standing in the corner for punishment. My hubby tells of being switched but I don't recall any such punishment in our little school. The school sold and is now a home. Don't know if it still uses the pot belly wood stove or not.